Friday 15 February 2013

Festival Preparations:


In preparation for our Kaleidoscope Quilt Festival 2013, I went out on a search for goodie bags for the kids (who are going to attend our festival).
I ended up at Blue Valentine in Pasteur Ave and met the most pleasant person, Sue.  After picking and counting, it was my turn to pay (after given a lot of discount) with the bankcard of the Oranje Kwiltersgilde. Swipe, pin code, swipe, pin code – no success! 


I then needed to make arrangements for Karin de Villiers to pay and pick the bags up.  And this is the part of the story I actually would like to tell:  Sue gave me the till slip and the bags to take with me to Karin.  This is a wonderful trustful gesture in this corrupted world of us!
End of this story:  the bags are paid!  Karin came to my rescue. And Hettie, our Treasurer, did not kill me for the inconvenience of having to go to the bank to sort out the problems that I have created!
Even though I do not want to give you even a sneak peek of our goodie bags, I am going to share something stitchy (one of my own words) with you:
The Uile Kwilters made these bags to generate funds for their Hospitality Department on the Festival.
Step 1:  If you want to do any appliqué work on these type of bags – DO NOT IRON THE MOTIF ON IT.  We have used glue (Pritt) to glue the fabrics onto the background.  It is also advisable to stiffen the bag’s fabric with Stitch&Tear at the back of the appliqué before you do any stitching.
On the photo is my bag – I got the humongous rose button from my mother’s stuff – I live in the ROSE city!  

Step 2: To make the plastic see-through bag on the front, cut plastic about 6” wide and 8” long. Use the technique of the quilter’s binding to finish it off on the two short sides. I have used my Walking Foot, because the plastic can be sticky. 









Step 3:  We unpicked the stitches of the handles on one side of the bag.  Only the two inside rows.  Slip the plastic in and stitch it again.  And do remember to stitch the bottom part of the bag too!

This works well for storing the pattern of your knitting or other handwork that can go along with you.
To see a photo of Karin, my wonderworker, take a look at our blog :  oranjequilters.blogspot.com - Hettie interviewed us when she started the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment