Tuesday 16 April 2013

Something sticky to stitch: Guinea fowl

Sometime ago, a few of my quilter-students have put in the request for me to teach them to do an Art Quilt.
I have done an Art Quilt in a class where Kathryn Harmer-Fox was the Teacher, but I think she is ‘n wonderful motivator too!  She makes you believe you CAN do it.  With that motivation in mind, I did teach an Art Quilt Class to 6 quilters.
Judie Bellingham form BellaOnline, pointed out that an Art Quilt should at least look like a quilt by the type of fabrics used and should be composed of at least two layers - the face layer and the backing layer.
It should also be quilted, to give meaning to the term: Art QUILT. Some of these stitches must be visible at the back of the quilt.
With this concept in mind, I prepared to teach my first class. 
Step 1:  Iron a layer of Vilene onto the back of a piece of fabric – something like unbleached calico.
Step 2: Trace the design on the fabric, which is now called the background.

Step 3:  Use Pritt and glue pieces of fabric (may include satin, silk, leather, organza, etc) onto the background.
Step 4:  Cover all the raw edges with stitches in a matching thread.
Step 5: Layer the top with batting and a backing – we call this a sandwich.

Step 6:  Quilt and finish off with a binding.
Step 7:  Finish off with embellishments.

No comments:

Post a Comment